Friday, January 15, 2016

Bowden is a very passionate child. He feels things deeply. Things that I just cannot understand. Like when he can’t get his action figure guy to move the way he wants him to. You would think that his little world has ended. In his head he knows the way that he wants things to go, or bend, and sometimes...they just don’t. No matter how badly he wants them to. As his mommy, I have some choices to make. I can either try to rationalize away his frustration at limitations, or I can just sit and hold him as he mourns the fact that life will be unfair and fused plastic elbows will not bend. In these moments with him, I try and think of how my heavenly Father would be with me. In those moments I have where there is inexplicable loss, frustration, and anger at how this world - this life - works, I imagine that He scoops me up into His all knowing and capable arms and lets me cry and be irrational. I imagine that He smooths my hair while my head rests on His shoulder and whispers, “I know the plans that I have for you, and they are so good…” That is why I am able to comfort Bowden, because I have received the same comfort in my moments. I don’t know what it is in your life that won’t bend, but let me encourage you, go to Him with all of it. It doesn’t matter how big or small you think it is. Nothing is insignificant to the One who knows the number of hairs on your head. Let Him whisper His perfect comfort into your heart as you lean your head on His shoulder. 

2 Corinthians 1:3-5
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ."



"It is Well", by Bethel Music, has been such a comfort to me through these past couple of months. I hope it blesses you like it has me!



3 comments:

  1. Great first post! Looking foreward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, this is so beautiful. I'm not a mom yet, but the way you write helps me to understand more of His heart and to remember who He is. Thank you - can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete